I recently organized a South Austin play group via Circle of Moms (a Facebook app). Our first play date was Wednesday and it was a lot fun. We had four mommies and six kiddos, four under 1 year of age and two 3-year-olds. I set out sandwich fixings and this fruit salad I made. You could probably make this with pretty much any fruit as long as you included the pineapple. It was delicious and I will be making it again.
Pina Colada Fruit Salad
Source: Simple & Delicious May 2010
- 1-1/2 cups green grapes (I cut the grapes in half because of the kiddos)
- 1-1/2 cups seedless red grapes (I cut the grapes in half because of the kiddos)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries (I used blackberries since they’re cheaper right now)
- 1-1/2 cups halved fresh strawberries (I quartered instead of halved)
- 1 can, 8-oz., pineapple chunks, drained (I actually used a 20-oz. can)
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 can, 10-oz. frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar (I might try this with confectioner’s sugar next time, which might make it less soupy)
- 1/2 cup pineapple-orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract (I omitted since I realized I didn’t have it on hand)
In a serving bowl, combine the fruit. In a small bowl, whisk the pina colada mix, sugar, juice and extracts until sugar is dissolved. Pour over fruit; toss to coat. Chill until serving. I definitely recommend serving this in bowls, not plates.
Yield: 9 servings